Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Transported.

There are 4 media exposure states. Wow...exciting intro.

One of these states is the transported state. It's basically when you get lost in the movie or show that you are watching. It's when you're so engrossed in something that you don't notice anything else around you. I'm hardly ever in this state, because I keep myself grounded in reality pretty well. And plus, since I'm learning production techniques, I'm always paying attention to lighting and camera angles and how the show is filmed and whatnot. So it's hard to lose myself in the show.

SO. I have a confession...I was watching CSI and it made me scared. I was watching it alone in my room a few nights ago, with all the lights off. And normally with TV and movies, I'm like "That's not real. Psh. This is stupid." But for some reason, CSI scared the crap out of me, and I turned the lights on to watch the rest of it. Like a scared little 7 year old. Watching CSI, I found myself in the transported state, and I didn't like it. We learned in class that most people LIKE being in the transported state, because you can experience things without losing control and without the risk of actually being there. But to me, being in the transported state IS losing control. You lose control of yourself and your emotions and reality. You're watching things happen and you can't do anything about it, and you're so into it that it's hard to detach yourself from it.

So, what do you think? Do you like being "transported" into another world when you watch TV?

1 comment:

  1. No, I do not like being in transported state. I would like it if it allowed me to experience things that were a part of my reality and that I could benefit from experiencing. But most things on TV, are very bizarre, and as such, being transported rather removes me from my reality and does more harm than good. I've only ever enjoyed being transported by the movie Amazing Grace, in which a man is extremely passionate about a change that desperately needed to happen. And because I agree with his cause, being transported inspires me to tackle the issues I believe in with as much dedication and passion as he did. Being transported into a setting where I fear evil creatures popping out of corners at me in outer space or getting bitten by a vampire is pointless.

    ReplyDelete