Thursday, November 19, 2009

Control.

Question: How many corporations own the media in the US?
Average class answer: 9248
Real answer: 5

Haha. I don't remember what I put as my answer, but I think it was pretty high up there. But really though, only 5 companies own 90% of our media?? It's the same way with music. Five companies control 90% of worldwide music.

I found this website...you pick a media company, and they tell you everything they own. So I picked Viacom...and they own:

Cable
MTV
MTV2
mtvU
AtomFilms
Addicting Games
Gamerailers
Harmonix
MTVN International
MTV TR3S
Neopets
Parents Connect
Quizilla
Rhapsody
Shockwave
VH1
VH1 Classic
VH1 Soul
Virtual Worlds
XFIRE
Nickelodeon
Nick Jr.
BET
BET J
Nick at Nite
TV Land
NOGGIN
VH1
Spike TV
CMT
Comedy Central
Film
Paramount Pictures
Paramount Home Entertainment
Dreamworks Studiis
Paramount Vantage
MTV Films
Nickelodeon Movies
Home Entertainment
Who the heck needs to own all that?? The 5 gigantic media corporations could potentially take over our media. They have almost complete control over our options of what we can watch on tv, and the movies we can watch, and the music we can listen to. I don't know about you, but I think we should teach these big media companies a lesson...I think we need more independent musicians and filmmakers out there. There's already a lot, but we need MORE. It's scary that 90% of our media is in the hands of Viacom, AOL/Time Warner, Disney, Bertelsmann, and News Corporation, and that's it. That's like...our country being in the hands of 5 powerful men...

I was talking to this guy, and he was saying how Starbucks started as one guy in a local coffee shop, and then got bigger and bigger until it became the Starbucks we're all so addicted to now. (I don't know but...) I suppose that's how Disney and News Corps and the other huge companies started too. Little independent companies merging with other little independent companies and then taking over the industry. It's crazy. Don't be fooled into thinking that your media is diverse. It's all made by the same 5 companies. And that's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

  1. that's ridiculous and really scary!!!! like in "Waiting On the World to Change":

    when they own the information
    they can bend it all they want...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Power. Control. Money. Is it really about the news media at all? Except for who controls more of it, perhaps. Otherwise couldn't these companies buy something philanthropic or green, or charitable..... instead of merging just to be more domitable (or would that be indomitable?) Don't we believe, though, that the people running the individual entities have some autonomy and are not MERELY puppets to the giants that own the company?

    ReplyDelete