Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Technology and whatnot

Sometimes, I HATE technology. Like right now. When my computer is "finishing restoring files" like it has been doing for the past 16 hours. Stupid computer. What if my computer NEVER finishes restoring files? What if my flash drive stops working? Everything I've ever done in college would be...gone. I have so much faith in my little black computer. What if it breaks? There would be no way of getting everything back. Good old fashioned pen and paper is so much more reliable...

It's funny how much trust we put into our little technological devices. For example, cell phones. I have everyone's number stored in my phone. What happens if my phone breaks or I lose it? All the numbers I once had would be lost. Very few of these numbers are committed to memory, and I bet most people don't write down numbers in an address book anymore (I do, though, because I'm skeptical of technology). And it's sad how lost I feel when I accidentally leave my phone in my room when I go to class. What if I miss a text or a call? How will I know what time it is, if I don't have my phone to check every once in awhile? How many times have I risked being late to class because I had to go back to my room to get my phone...is having my phone really THAT important to me? Sadly, yes, it is. And it scares me that it's so important to me. It's one of the few things that I have with me at all times. My little blue phone is my connection to the world. What happens when my connection device breaks? What then?

Is our technology really worthy of all the trust that we put in it?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cara!
    I totally get what you are saying. I think we all depend to much entirely on technology these days. I know I feel completely lost without my cell phone or computer (which is sadly broken now). What do you do? How do we handle these horrible inconvienences? Im not sure....I will let you know when I figure it out. One question to think about my Summit friend...What would our lives be like if we trusted in God like we trust in technology? Just something to think about. Hope your class is going well!
    Abby T

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Abby said about trusting God is exactly what I was thinking when I read this. We always have our phones with us and we have so much faith in our technology. Do we feel the same way about God? Do we believe that He's always there with us and that we can trust Him?

    It would be a scary thing to lose all of the hard work you've done in college just because of a computer failure, though. I try not to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trusting God is fundamentally different from trusting in technology, and I hope the two would never be confused.

    To trust in technology is to trust in the work of our hands. Insofar as the technology has been programmed, it is perfectly alright - even encouraged - that you trust it. After all, every advance in technology is an advance BECAUSE the benefits outweigh the risks. That's why we are better off with laptops than with pencil and paper. Of course, this does not mean we are blind - backups are a part of any decent structure.

    However, trust in God cannot be based on any work of man, for the simple reason that, by definition, God is greater than man. Man's trust cannot be based on a failure rate, because nothing God can be a failure, even if it is deemed so by human terms. There is no contingency plan for God. God cannot be improved, God cannot be backed up, God cannot be substituted. We do not know what God is, except that God is God. Since God cannot be proven to "work," we can't believe in Him through normal means. This is why we believe through faith, or "the hope of things unseen." Believing in God like believing in technology is acknowledging that God is not perfect.

    ReplyDelete