So I got this fortune a few days ago in a fortune cookie:
"Do not be afraid of computers. Be afraid of the lack of them."
Really? Is that even a fortune...?
I'm not really afraid of computers, or the lack of them. Actually, I don't know if I would be afraid of the lack of computers. I've never really been in that situation. When I was in Guatemala I didn't really have that much access to a computer, but if I really needed to use one, there was one there for me to use. What would it be like if there was some worldwide crisis and every single computer was destroyed? Would having ZERO computer access scare you?
What do you think? Are you afraid of the lack of computers?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hah, no, that’s not a fortune. I don’t think I’m afraid of the lack of computers. If every computer was suddenly destroyed, then we would obviously be thrown from the information age back into the industrial age. And if that happened, then a lot of people would lose their jobs. And the economy would become even worse. Also, the media as we know it would get a good punch to the stomach, although it wouldn’t be completely gone. Also, a lot of people would go into shock when they realized that their phones could do no more than make and receive phone calls. So yeah, I’m not afraid of the lack of computers, I just don’t think we would benefit from it.
ReplyDeleteI would hate it if there was no cumputers because then I could never let you know when I'm in town, but other than that it probably be better because I would get more stuff done. People would have to interact with eachother in person more to.
ReplyDeleteThey just don't make fortune cookies like they used to.
ReplyDeleteI'm not afraid of the lack of computers, but it's basically an impossibility to be without them now. everything has computers... like today, when the feds' computers failed and the airlines were shut down for hours. communication as were were used to ended and people couldn't deal. I just hope that people are still concerned about computer privacy as the years go on.
ReplyDeleteI remember doing the kind of work I do now in the days before there were computers. In fact, in my early working years, the big thing was computer conversions - loading data into databases and learning the managing processes of switching away from card files, subsidiary ledgers, making manual accounts payable agings, tracking payroll. Took alot more people to do the work back then. And yes, we'd have to talk to people instead of texting. But I would miss the access I have to people far away if computers went away.
ReplyDelete