Thursday, October 8, 2009

I'm sorry this blog sucks

Sooo this is obviously a lot less interesting than I thought it would be...

So in discussion last week we talked about this thing called One Laptop Per Child. And basically it's some program that the world wants to do to give every child a laptop. Duh. So they're trying to make these laptops that will cost only $100 to make, and then give them to every child in the world. I think mainly in Africa, actually. And they're powered by the sun. I think. Maybe I should research this before I write about it...

Anyway, these laptops will provide kids with "access to knowledge" and will be for 6-12 year olds. Their mission statement is "To create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning."

Ok, so what does that actually mean? That kids can't learn without laptops? That we need to sit behind a screen in order to be educated? We didn't have laptops when I was 6, and we learned just fine. Well, most of us did...

I'm scared that the world is becoming overly digitized. I mean, half the crap on the internet isn't educational or correct anyway. Why do these kids need internet access? And just because they have a laptop doesn't mean that there will even be internet access.

Speaking of internet access, IU's internet wasn't working 2 days ago...and I was frustrated. And then I was just thinking...do I actually need the internet? If it came down to it, would I be able to survive without the internet? Would you? Should you? Why are we so dependent on machines?

I need to go to bed now. Hopefully soon I'll have something actually important to write about.
Thanks for reading.....

2 comments:

  1. I actually wrote a scholarship essay about the One Laptop per Child initiative when I applied to Valpo. The ones I read about were powerred by turning a crank (mechanical to electrical energy . . .) Obesity in America would decrease if we implemented more mechanical energy.

    Technology skills are a new kind of literacy, often separating children from a higher socioeconomic class whose parents can afford computers from children whose parents cannot afford the latest and greatest technology. Everything is quickly becoming digitized and so whether we like it or not, those who are not developing technology skills will be left behind.

    All my Telecom classes were overwhelming me with how dependent on technology we are so I've been trying to not be so obsessive in checking email . . . I agree that our growing dependency on machines is sad and awareness should be raised. Any posts that raise awareness don't suck. Gotta Give yourself more credit, Cara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about that from Mr. Hurey back in Cisco during high school. I didn't see how they were going to accomplish this goal. And you do make a good point about how obsessed with technology we are.

    ReplyDelete