We haven't really talked about anything in class that's all the interesting to blog about...haha.
So what we've been talking about is how our media use is moving from just passive consumption, to actively participating in media production.
For instance, instead of just watching a movie, we now make our own and post it to YouTube.
Instead of just reading websites, we create our own.
Facebook, YouTube, MySpace, Twitter, blogs, and a lot of other media content would not exist without us. We are the driving force behind it.
Without us, there is no Facebook. Sad day.
And in a way, we're screwing over the internet industry. We can do all this stuff for free, and the website/internet people are losing money like crazy. (except I think Google is doing pretty well.)
We took a poll in another of my media classes, and out of all of us (maybe 120 people?) only 1 or 2 people said that they would pay money to use Facebook. Would you? Like $5 a month? I wouldn't. We're so used to having all this stuff available to us for free, so why would we ever think that paying for it would be acceptable?
One thing, though. TV used to be free. If you had those rabbit ears, you could watch whatever you wanted. Back then they thought that paying for TV was crazy and they'd never do it. Now we pay for TV. Are websites eventually going to turn into that? I sure hope not.
So here's my question to you:
If they did start charging to use your favorite social networking sites, how much a month would you pay to use them, or would you just ditch it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't think I would use it any more. Which is interesting to say, because it seems like I can't go three hours without checking my facebook. But if there was a cost to be able to use it, I think I would be willing to give it up. That probably has something to do with me being a "poor college student". Do they really think we have that kind of money to spend on something as trivial as facebook? Silly interwebs.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI would celebrate having to pay to use Facebook. [why? cries upset studets, fingers bulkier than Eckridge hot dogs from all that texting]
ReplyDeleteIf we had to pay for Facebook, I would terminate my account. The end. More freedom, more time to actually engage with my social network in person or via voice than staring at a light screen. I would rather save my money to spend with my friends doing things or flying to see them then paying to poke them on Facebook.
Secondly, shouldn't Facebook be paying us as the Web2.0 contributors? They provide the frame and the server, but we produce and add all the content. This content -- all our favorites, our geographic location, age, sex -- is a marketer's DREAM. We're basically throwing out our purchasing dollars saying, "Sell me more things like the office and red hot chili peppers!" I'm sure marketers spend sleepless nights conceiving ways to harvest Facebook for our demographic information --- if they don't already have a deal running with Marky Z.
In short, if Facebook doesn't start paying me, I might ditch it anyway. STUDENTS' REVOLT!
ALSO -- back in the day writers used to send each other letters. Now, are people going to publish instant messages from Facebook chats between JK Rowling and Stephen King? If we took all the time we spent social networking and applied our efforts to writing novels, essays, letters, etc, can you imagine what would be produced?
ReplyDeleteFacebook and the like is stripping the museum of literature from a bird's song to a tweet.
Ya, so I definately don't think I would pay anything to keep using Facebook or anything like that, even though I'm like Corey and tend to check it every couple of hours. I'd just end up deleting my account and then just text/call/visit/or mail everyone instead. Call me cheap if you want, but I don't usually spend money on stuff unless I absolutely need it and Facebook is definately not something I NEED.
ReplyDeleteI would pay to keep my livejournal because I've had it for so many years... but I think that's it.
ReplyDeleteNo, I will not pay for facebook. If facebook ever became a paysite, some other site would pop up to take its place for free. That's the nature of the Internet. There is no such commodity that it can not be automatically reproduced at delivered at no cost. If current companies lose money on the Internet and back out, then homebrew will take over. Options will only increase the longer the Internet exists.
ReplyDeleteHmm, if it was like 5 bucks, I'd think about it, but probably still go for it. Any higher I wouldn't for sure. At 5 bucks a month, that's 60 a year and even that would make me step back and think about it.
ReplyDelete